DAVID NIEPER LIVE PROJECT: INITIAL DESIGNS

06:47

INITIAL DESIGNS

NOW THAT I HAVE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED THE 1960s, CONTEMPORARY BRANDS AND THE CLIENT, I FEEL AS THOUGH I AM READY TO BEGIN DESIGNING. THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS I WILL HAVE TO CONSIDER BOTH FUNCTIONAL AND DECORATIVE ASPECTS, SO THAT I CAN CREATE SOMETHING THAT IS BOTH EXCITING YET PRACTICAL. 


1960s CAPE INSPIRED:

This design was inspired by the popular trend of capes and caplet style dresses from the 1960s. This particular outfit was mainly inspired from 60s Balenciaga pieces, but also from contemporary and modern brands like OSKA. I wanted a loose silhouette, with design features to make it feminine and age appropriate.   


Design Idea: 01

DECONSTRUCTED SHIRT INSPIRED:


This design was inspired by looking at classic pieces in a woman's wardrobe. I had the idea of taking a classic white shirt and reconstructing it in a different way. The idea of shirt deconstruction is actually something which is starting to become a trend now. With the client being stylish yet elegant, I felt this was an idea which could actually be very good for mass market.    
Design Idea: 02

PIERRE CARDIN/PLEATS PLEASE INSPIRED:

This look is a micro-pleated design. (Good because it does not need to be ironed) The texture is inspired by a trend originating on the catwalk by Issey Miyake, which involves very small pleats. I've added cut-out sections on the shoulder inspired by the work of Pierre Cardin, which makes the look fun but not revealing. 


Design Idea: 03

1960s WRAPPED AND RUCHED:

This design is inspired by a late 60s Evening dress by Balenciaga. The wrapped design is elegant and feminine yet it does not reveal too much. I've decided to take inspiration from this, but have moved the bow and actually incorporated it into a capped sleeve. I then added some slight ruching to keep within the wrapped theme, and added a flowing sleeve to the other side. This dress is classically feminine and could be worn by people in the 50+ market.  

Design Idea: 04

JAPANESE WRAP/ COAT INSPIRED:

This design has a more contemporary look. It is aimed at the stylish and modern/minimal 50+ woman. It consists of a layered design, with the bottom longer (designed in consideration of the client). The top layer has a wrapped look which is fastened with a tab and popper. The sleeves are slouchy and comfy, something that looks effortless when paired with the boxy shape of the bodice and skirt.  


Design Idea: 05

ANGULAR AND ASYMMETRIC:

This dress features an asymmetric design and large pocket detail. I found in my research that Pierre Cardin's work from the 60s features a lot of asymmetry, something that I am fond of. Asymmetry is a way of adding a interest to a design, but not over complicating it. Here I have included a simple dress shape with one sleeve, and have added a large pocket for detail. 


Design Idea: 06

CHIC KNOT INSPIRED:

The main inspiration of this look was from a Japanese Origami technique I learnt for creating 'Lucky Stars'. To make lucky stars you must knot card in a certain way and then pinch the edges to create the star. Without completing all the steps you can create a pentagonal knot which actually has an interesting effect. I used this to form the basis for this design idea. A simple boxy jacket and trousers. The main aspect of this design is the knot detailing on the cuffs, buttons and the back yoke. 


Design Idea: 07

BUTTONS AND CAPES:

This idea came again by looking at the cape style dresses of the 1960s. I like the idea of cape style sleeves, as they suit the needs of the client very well. However, I wanted to give a modern twist, therefore I looked at adding some back details in the form of buttons.
Design Idea: 08

DIOR TAB DETAIL INSPIRED:

This design is inspired by a jacket I found from Dior-1963. The jacket includes asymmetric button detailing down the front. I liked this idea and wanted to do something similar, but make it even more exciting. I had the idea to create a 2-piece set of a top and skirt, with a similar asymmetric fastening design. I changed up the fastening and made it into tabs with poppers, an brought it up into a stand collar. I even added an asymmetric hem to create a modern look. 
Design Idea: 09

CONTEMPORARY DRAPING:

This idea came from some draping I had practiced on the stand. I took inspiration from the book by Tomoko Nakamichi- 'Pattern Magic'. In the book there are various designs that are created using interesting styles of pattern cutting. I replicated some of the bodice pieces from one of the pages and draped them in different ways to create interesting shapes. Pairing an interesting draped top like this with a simple pair of wide leg, cropped trousers is an elegant look for the 50+ market. 

Design Idea: 10


All of these ideas take inspiration from my research into both the 1960s and modern/contemporary fashion. I think that now it is time to carefully select which ideas I think I can best develop into something suitable for the David Nieper brand and the 50+ market. 




Keep visiting the blog for new updates and posts!


-Arianne Scott













You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Press

Subscribe

Facebook

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images